Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The SongKran Festival 泼水节

It was the 15th of April. It is the SongKran Festival for the Thais and it's part of our school's annual festival. Our school asked us students from South East Asia to prepare the programs for that particular day and we were asked to prepare a dance, Indonesian (or Malay) traditional dance. Anyway, both of them are the same.

Our class had been preparing for the dance for nearly 3 weeks and I have to admit that I'm a bad dancer. We always argue about my dance but I just don't understand how. But, anyway, I managed to remember all the steps. Oppositely, Tiffiny danced the best in our class and the teacher also asked her to be the main dancer. What an HONOR!! Both of us actually enjoyed the moment dancing together as this is our first time dancing together. And most of all, both of us are partners! As both of us were in the front, our dancing teacher expected more from us but I was always the one having the problem, including timing and steps...

We took this in the wash room. I look so retarded, but nice?
That thing on my head should be worn on the waist, but still look nice, right?
This is our stage, with two ponds on both sides.
Miss Baju Kebaya nominees, top five.
Ladies, "CHEESE"!
Weird looking at ourselves wearing Malay costumes.

This was actually our first activity in the school since we came here. Dancing is never a skill for me, but since both of us were partners in the dance, I really enjoyed dancing, especially Tiffiny. Maybe she inherited her Mum’s dancing talent (that’s what Tiffiny told me), the teacher never stopped complimenting Tiffiny for her perfect body movements. I once doubt whether she got any bones in her body (this is a compliment) because when she danced, her whole body moves like silk and it was so smooth and gentle. Our dancing teacher also added that Tiffiny danced perfectly if compared to others, considering her body movements and timing, just like a standard dancer. I think I should describe her dance as the angels dancing in Heaven during Christmas, graceful and soothing. On the other hand, the teacher never complimented me because I always did at least one or two mistakes during the practice.

Actually both of us enjoyed SongKran Festival a lot. Everyone can splash each other with the water without offending anyone as this is what the festival meant. Splashing water at others represents a renewal of a new year and blessings for the Thai and other South East Asia countries, except for Malaysia. Why don't we have SongKran Festival in Malaysia? Sad. So, back to what I said, every students gathered at our school field and we had shows prepared by students. We had to dance so we didn't took many photos of the dancing. Nothing can stop other students from playing with the water provided, so there were two shows on stage and down stage.

As soon as the MC announced the SPLASHING time, you better run if you don't want to get wet. The whole field became a water battlefield as everyone started splashing. Or should i say, "Splash on sight" instead of "Kill on sight". Both of us joined the party and i can tell you that we never had such fun since we came here. It's fun seeing others running when they saw you carrying your bucket of water. Some were even thrown into the small pond of water provided by the organizer. Crazy but fun. Few of us went to the hostel and started "attacking" anyone whom we knew whenever they walked pass the hostel. We were like the angry mobs carrying water to attack, instead of gas bombs or AK47.

The show hasn't ended but the party has begun.
Wanna join the battle?
Myanmar's traditional dance.
Now, the battle has really begun! Charge!!
My poor slippers...
Wet "Cheese"!!
Heading back without my slippers....
Both of us are soaking wet.
"War" outside my hostel.

Everything was a fun. You can actually splash the people whom you dislike without offending them. I remembered that I was chasing one of my seniors(not because I hate her, just for fun) with a bucket on hand at the field when I tripped and broke my slippers. Though I succeeded my mission, I was the one being laughed...embarrassing but who cares? As long as we laughed together and had fun. It was fun attacking others on the street but it was even funnier seeing girls running around the field like wet ducks walking on hot plates, not because of the mud, but the earthworms. It seems like the earthworms wanted to join us but they came out at the wrong time. Many were "trampled", and some were even separated into half by our foot steps. Words can't describe how much we enjoy. You have to be there to feel the wet and crazy atmosphere.

The party ended in the evening as everyone headed back to their hostel to take bath. Our clothes smelled like being soaked in the drain water. There is always a price for the fun we had, but I think it worthed the price. We hoped that someday we can enjoy this wet festival in Thailand as it will be a different and authentic experience. Hail SongKran Festival!

1 comment:

M3nT said...

lol...
cool
ther's another blog talking bout tis songkran stuff de..
nicolekiss.blogspot.com